For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Ironman veteran Raynard Tissink of South Africa walked away with a victory in his home country, while Germany’s Sonja Tajsich earned her first-ever Ironman win.
Tissink turned in a patient race, moving up the leaderboard throughout the day. In the end it was his 2:52:08 marathon that distanced him from the competition, giving him the win at 8:23:28. Switzerland’s Mathias Hecht led off of the bike and settled on for second with a time of 8:28:53. Italy’s Daniel Fontana used a steady effort across the swim, bike and run to finish third in 8:33:48.
Tajsich overcame a slow swim to post the fastest bike and run splits for the women. Her 5:01:55 bike ride paired with a 3:07:14 marathon gave her the win in a time of 9:16:55. Switzerland’s Caroline Steffen led off of the bike, but slowed on the marathon earning second at 9:22:00. Belgium’s Tine Deckers earned third at 9:29:58.
Ironman South Africa
April 25, 2010 – Port Elizabeth, South Africa
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Raynard Tissink (RSA) 8:23:28
2. Mathias Hecht (SUI) 8:28:53
3. Daniel Fontana (ITA) 8:33:48
4. Jason Shortis (AUS) 8:34:52
5. Stephen Bayliss (GBR) 8:40:28
1. Sonja Tajsich (GER) 9:16:55
2. Caroline Steffen (SUI) 9:22:00
3. Tine Deckers (BEL) 9:29:58
4. Mirjam Weerd (NED) 9:37:24
5. Sonja Jaarsveld (NED) 9:42:20