Mario Mola Seals Second World Title In Rotterdam
A third-place finish at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Rotterdam was enough to grant Mario Mola a back-to-back crown.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Keeping the world title for the nation of Spain for the fifth year in a row, a third-place finish at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Rotterdam was enough to grant Mario Mola a back-to-back ITU World Triathlon Championship crown in a season-best performance. With the repeat title, Mola became only the second man in ITU history since the inception of the WTS to ever win two-straight world titles.
Winning the Grand Final race gold was France’s Vincent Luis, who claimed his first WTS victory of the season. Luis’s win came from a dominating and dramatic run effort, after breaking away from a powerful lead pack in the final metres to seize the event gold. Read the complete recap at Triathlon.org. (See photos of the women’s race here.)
2017 World Championship Podium
1. Mario Mola (ESP)
2. Javier Gomez Noya (ESP)
3. Kristian Blummenfelt (NOR)
1. Vincent Luis (FRA) 1:51:26
2. Kristian Blummenfelt (NOR) 1:51:28
3. Mario Mola (ESP) 1:51:36
4. Javier Gomez Noya (ESP) 1:51:41
5. Jonathan Brownlee (GBR) 1:51:52
6. Richard Murray (RSA) 1:52:06
7. Pierre Le Corre (FRA) 1:52:31
8. Joao Pereira (POR) 1:52:32
9. Andreas Schilling (DEN) 1:52:33
10. Thomas Bishop (GBR) 1:52:34