Australia’s Sam Appleton and Mirinda Carfrae earned the victories at a shortened Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa on Saturday in Northern California. Athletes competed in a bike/run format after the swim was canceled due to heavy fog. The region has been good to Appleton, who won Ironman 70.3 Vineman 2015 and then claimed the inaugural 70.3 Santa Rosa victory last year. For Carfrae, the victory was the first in her comeback to the sport after giving birth to daughter, Isabelle, in August of 2017. She finished her day with a blazing 1:20:06 half-marathon, proving the signature run form that helped her earn those three Ironman world titles is still there.
2018 Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa
Santa Rosa, Calif.
56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Sam Appleton (AUS) 3:17:35
2. Jackson Laundry (CAN) 3:21:42
3. Tyler Butterfield (BER) 3:22:34
4. Tim O’Donnell (USA) 3:25:25
5. Joe Gambles (AUS) 3:26:50
1. Mirinda Carfrae (AUS) 3:43:21
2. Heather Wurtele (CAN) 3:45:20
3. Pamella Oliveira (BRA) 3:46:30
4. Jocelyn McCauley (USA) 3:47:39
5. Alycia Hill (USA) 3:55:55