For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Photos: Paul Phillips/Competitive Image/@Compimagephoto
The tough Ironman Lanzarote course is known for its gusty winds, but thankfully for the athletes Saturday was calmer than usual. Despite the calmer winds, warmer temperatures still made for a tough day. A total of 1,600 athletes started the race at 7 a.m. in Puerto del Carmen for the 26th edition of Club La Santa Ironman Lanzarote.
In the end, Belgium’s Bart Aernouts earned the victory in 8:34:13 with Italy’s Alessandro Degasperi and the United States’ Jesse Thomas claiming the other podium spots.
On the women’s side, Great Britain’s Lucy Charles was impressive across swim, bike and run—taking the victory in 9:35:40. Australia’s Corinne Abraham and Great Britain’s Lucy Gossage finished second and third, respectively.
2017 Ironman Lanzarote
Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain – May 20, 2017
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Bart Aernouts (BEL) 8:34:13
2. Alessandro Degasperi (ITA) 8:43:23
3. Jesse Thomas (USA) 8:49:02
4. Peru Alfaro (PER) 8:52:31
5. Romain Guillaume (FRA) 8:57:01
1. Lucy Charles (GBR) 9:35:40
2. Corinne Abraham (GBR) 9:44:29
3. Lucy Gossage (GBR) 9:50:22
4. Jeanne Collonge (FRA) 10:04:46
5. Saleta Castro Nogueira (ESP) 10:11:45