The race for Challenge Family’s “World Bonus” is heating up, and several top names competed at Challenge Turku in Finland over the weekend to rack up some mid-season points. The $165,000 end-of-season bonus will pay five deep in both the men’s and women’s fields, with the top ranked male and female each taking home $30,000.
Germany’s Sebastian Kienle earned the victory in Turku, giving him an additional 250 points and tying him with Pablo Gonzalez Dapena for the lead in the rankings. The Spanish triathlete finished second, with Daniel Baekkegard (DEN) rounding out the podium.
Great Britain’s Sarah Lewis took the win, with Australia’s Kerry Morris finishing second. The Netherlands’ Yvonne Van Vlerken expanded her lead in the rankings with a third-place finish.
2018 Challenge Turku
Turku, Finland – Aug. 12, 2018
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Sebastian Kienle (GER) 3:38:09
2. Pablo Dapena Gonzales (ESP) 3:42:20
3. Daniel Baekkegard (DEN) 3:44:41
4. Thomas Davis (GBR) 3:46:12
5. Ivan Kalashnikov (RUS) 3:46:42
1. Sarah Lewis (GBR) 4:11:56
2. Kerry Morris (AUS) 4:12:48
3. Yvonne Van Vlerken (NED) 4:14:37
4. Bianca Steurer (AUT) 4:14:50
5. Claire Hann (GBR) 4:18:33