For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Reigning Ironman world champion Pete Jacobs (AUS) and Gina Crawford (NZL) earned the victories at Sunday’s Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast in Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia. Both athletes are slated to compete in next month’s Ironman World Championship.
Jacobs combined a 22:59 swim, a 2:01:09 bike and a 1:13:09 run to earn the 3:39:59 victory. The strong performance across all three sports shows he may be coming into top form in time for another strong performance in Kona. His only close competitor through the beginning of the race was fellow Australian Clayton Fettell, who earned second. Casey Munro (AUS) finished third.
Crawford’s 27:24 swim, 2:27:37 bike and 1:25:03 run gave her the 4:23:18 win. Japan’s Kiyomi Niwata was a tough competitor for Crawford, finishing second just under a minute later. Australia’s Jessica Fleming rounded out the top three.
Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast
Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia – Sept. 15, 2013
1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run
1. Pete Jacobs (AUS) 3:39:58
2. Clayton Fettell (AUS) 3:47:07
3. Casey Munro (AUS) 3:50:58
4. Sam Appleton (AUS) 3:51:15
5. Kieran Roche (AUS) 3:58:37
1. Gina Crawford (NZL) 4:23:17
2. Kihomi Niwata (JPN) 4:24:16
3. Jessica Fleming (AUS) 4:27:41
4. Janine Willis (AUS) 4:29:28
5. Lisa Marangon (AUS) 4:33:16