For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Legends Mark Allen and Dave Scott are coming to TriathleteLive during Kona race week to answer your questions about the race that cemented their OG status: Iron War. This year marks the 30th anniversary of that epic battle, and they’re not holding back. The chat will be hosted by our own Emma-Kate Lidbury and is presented in partnership with Gatorade Endurance.
Join us Thursday, Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. HST/1 p.m. PDT/4 p.m. EDT on Facebook Live.
Submit your questions beforehand on our Facebook page or join in and ask on the air.
Sign up here: https://www.facebook.com/events/452810358660587/
About Iron War
The 1989 Ironman World Championship was the greatest race ever. In a spectacular duel that became known as the Iron War, the world’s two strongest athletes raced side by side at world-record pace for a grueling 139 miles.
Driven by one of the fiercest rivalries in triathlon, Dave Scott and Mark Allen raced shoulder to shoulder through the Ironman 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike race, and 26.2-mile marathon. After 8 punishing hours, both men would demolish the previous record—and cross the finish line just 58 seconds apart. The race would redefine the limits of human endurance and the role of mental toughness in sports.
Missed a show? Catch up on our previous editions:
- Strength Training for Triathletes with Erin Carson
- Sam Long and Tyler Butterfield on Bike Training, Gear Disasters, and Making It as a Pro
- Flora Duffy on Returning to Racing, Building to the Olympics, and More
- Gerry Rodrigues: The Open-Water Swimming Expert Answers Your Questions
- Chris Leiferman and Kennett Peterson Share Their Training Secrets Ahead of Their Kona Debuts
- Siri Lindley on Endless Positivity, Facing Fears, Coaching Pros, Cracking Kona, and More
- Ben Hoffman & Joe Gambles on Fatherhood, Kona, And Nutrition
- Rachel Joyce & Lauren Brandon discuss IM Boulder, pregnancy, and motivation.
- Dave Scott & Craig “Crowie” Alexander on bricks, carbs, and what makes a world champ.
- Matt Hanson & Tim O’Donnell on Ironman Boulder podium finishes, recovery, life balance, and nutrition.