For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Italy’s Alessandro Degasperi and Germany’s Diana Riesler claimed the victories at one of the toughest long-course triathlons on the planet today in the Canary Islands.
Degasperi took the Ironman Lanzarote win in 8:56:49 with a 51:10 swim, a 5:12:12 bike and a 2:47:15 marathon. Germany’s Christian Kramer was second in 8:59:31, with Switzerland’s Mauro Baertsch getting third at 9:04:46.
Riesler dominated the women’s race, thanks in large part to a stellar 5:37:11 bike split. She book-ended that cycling effort with a 55:40 swim and a 3:16:20 marathon, giving her the 9:56:04 win. Austria’s Michi Herlbauer got the runner-up spot in 10:13:50. Great Britain’s Caroline Livesey rounded out the podium in 10:31:57.
Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain – May 23, 2015
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Alessandro Degasperi (ITA) 8:56:50
2. Christian Kramer (GER) 8:59:31
3. Mauro Baertsch (SUI) 9:04:46
4. Miquel Blanchart Tintó (ESP) 9:10:26
5. Bert Jammaer (BEL) 9:12:06
1. Diana Riesler (GER) 9:56:04
2. Michi Herlbauer (AUT) 10:13:50
3. Caroline Livesey (GBR) 10:31:57
4. Shiao-Yu Li (TPE) 10:33:43
5. Verena Walter (GER) 10:44:41