Colorado Takess Fourth Consecutive Collegiate Nationals Team Title
Three-time defending champion University of Colorado added another team title to their collection Saturday.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Three-time defending champion University of Colorado added another team title to their collection Saturday at the USA Triathlon Collegiate National Championships. Colorado also won the men’s team title, while the women’s team award went to California.
Colorado scored 3,926 combined points, edging out second-place team California by only two points. The CU Buffs have been dominant since 2010 and have now taken four consecutive team awards back to Boulder, Colo. California scored 3,924 points, and UCLA was third with 3,727.
The Colorado men had three finishers in the top eight, scoring 1,986 points for yet another men’s championship. California earned runners-up honors with 1,926 points, and Michigan took third place with 1,897 points.
Erika Erickson and her pair of second-place finishes propelled the California women to the top of the standings with 1,998 points. Colorado was second with 1,940 and the U.S. Military Academy scored 1,915 for third place.
Erickson also won the combined award for her performances in the Draft-Legal Collegiate Championship on Friday and the Olympic-distance championship on Saturday. Ben Kanute from Arizona locked up the combined award on men’s side with his back-to-back titles in the individual events.
Men’s Combined Award
1. Ben Kanute (Arizona), 550
2. Yoni Doron-Peters (California), 539
3. Ryan Petry (Arizona State), 535
Women’s Combined Award
1. Erika Erickson (California), 548
2. Samantha Morrison (USAFA), 543
3. Lauren Lewis (Texas A&M), 528
Overall Team Standings
1. Colorado, 3,926
2. California, 3,924
3. UCLA, 3,727
4. U.S. Naval Academy, 3,710
5. Arizona, 3,604
Women’s Team Standings
1. California, 1,998
2. Colorado, 1,940
3. U.S. Military Academy, 1,915
4. UCLA, 1,915
5. U.S. Naval Academy, 1,908
Men’s Team Standings
1. Colorado, 1,986
3. Michigan, 1,897
5. Iowa, 1,847
Armed Services Team Champions: U.S. Naval Academy
Team Spirit Award: University of Southern California
– UC Colorado Springs Wins Collegiate Mixed Team Relay
– Michelle Mehnert Collegiate Women’s Winner In Tempe
– Ben Kanute Wins Collegiate Nationals
– Ben Kanute, Erin Jones Take Collegiate Draft-Legal Wins
– PHOTOS: 2013 USAT Collegiate National Championship
– PHOTOS: 2013 USAT Collegiate National Championship – Draft Race