For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
France’s Denis Chevrot and New Zealand’s Britta Martin claimed the victories at the final Ironman on the 2014 calendar.
Chevrot combined a 46:23 swim, a 4:26:42 bike and a 2:49:11 marathon to put away the competition and earn the win in 8:05:58. Sweden’s Patrik Nilsson chased Chevrot all day, ultimately finishing in second at 8:12:11. Germany’s Per Bittner had a well-rounded day to claim third.
Martin turned in a solid 56:39 swim and a 4:55:37 bike before earning the 8:56:34 win thanks in large part to her 3:00:00 marathon. Germany’s Mareen Hufe dominated the bike and held on in the run to finish in second at 9:00:21. Australia’s Liz Blatchford rounded out the top three 9:02:11. American Beth Gerdes posted the fastest run split of the women (2:58:17) to run her way to fourth at the finish line.
Ironman Western Australia
Busselton, Western Australia – Dec. 7, 2014
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Denis Chevrot (FRA) 8:05:58
2. Patrik Nilsson (SWE) 8:12:11
3. Per Bittner (GER) 8:14:36
4. Romain Guillaume (FRA) 8:21:14
5. Mike Schifferle (SUI) 8:34:17
1. Britta Martin (NZL) 8:56:33
2. Mareen Hufe (GER) 9:00:20
3. Liz Blatchford (AUS) 9:02:10
4. Beth Gerdes (USA) 9:04:37
5. Yvonne Van Vlerken (NED) 9:05:38