For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
The United States’ Daniel Bretscher and New Zealand’s Britta Martin earned the victories at today’s Ironman Wisconsin in Madison, Wisc.
Bretscher put together a 52:16 swim, a 4:42:57 bike and a 2:50:14 marathon to narrowly beat out fellow American Brandon Marsh in 8:31:20. Marsh had an impressive day, but ultimately had to settle for second in 8:32:23. Puerto Rico’s Pedro Gomes rounded out the podium at 8:36:56.
New Zealand’s Britta Martin turned in a 59:13 swim, a 5:15:26 bike and a 3:08:40 marathon to earn the win in 9:30:08. Ukraine’s Tamara Kozulina finished second at 9:41:16, with American Ashley Clifford claiming third at 9:45:10.
Next year’s race in Madison will have a different dynamic as it was announced last month that Ironman Wisconsin and eight other Ironmans will not feature prize purses in 2015.
Madison, Wisc. – Sept. 7, 2014
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Daniel Bretscher (USA) 8:31:20
2. Brandon Marsh (USA) 8:32:23
3. Pedro Gomes (PRT) 8:36:56
4. Bachor Konstantin (GER) 8:38:42
5. Matt Hanson (USA) 8:50:16
1. Britta Martin (NZL) 9:30:08
2. Tamara Kozulina (UKR) 9:41:16
3. Ashley Clifford (USA) 9:45:10
4. Ariane Monticeli (BRA) 9:49:40
5. Jackie Arendt (USA) 10:03:58