Bowstead, Hering On Top At 70.3 Buffalo Springs
New Zealand's Mark Bowstead and the United States' Jackie Hering earned the Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs victories on Sunday in Texas.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
New Zealand’s Mark Bowstead and the United States’ Jackie Hering earned the Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs victories on Sunday in Texas.
Bowstead’s 3:53:04 victory was thanks to a 23:44 swim, a 2:09:09 bike and a 1:17:53 bike. American Chris Leiferman was just off of Bowstead’s pace all day, putting him across the finish line in second at 3:57:19. American pro Justin Metzler rounded out the top three in 4:02:34.
In the women’s race, Hering won a close battle with fellow American Lauren Barnett. Hering’s day consisted of a 25:00 swim, a 2:30:11 bike and a 1:21:14 half-marathon, giving her the win in 4:18:44. It was a slower swim that ultimately cost Barnett, putting her in second position at 4:19:35. Kelly Williamson made it an all-American podium, finishing third in 4:24:57.
Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs
Buffalo Springs, Texas – June 28, 2015
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Mark Bowstead (NZL) 3:53:04
2. Chris Leiferman (USA) 3:57:19
3. Justin Metzler (USA) 4:02:34
4. Christopher Baird (USA) 4:05:36
5. Jordan Rapp (USA) 4:06:42
1. Jackie Hering (USA) 4:18:44
2. Lauren Barnett (USA) 4:19:35
3. Kelly Williamson (USA) 4:24:57
4. Haley Chura (USA) 4:33:49
5. Bailey Hinz (USA) 4:44:30