For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Over the weekend 100 teams competed in the third edition of the SwimRun NC in Hanging Rock State Park Lake and the Dan River. They came from across the world (including Sweden, Canada, and the UK) to compete on the tough course.
The epic terrain takes athletes through almost 2,800 feet of elevation change. Overall, the teams competed in 15 miles of trail running (split into 10 segments) and 2 miles of swimming (split into 9 segments). While the trails and water are beautiful, they created unique challenges. With super technical terrain and the water temperature hovering around 55 degrees, it was not an easy day for these athletes. They were rewarded for their efforts with the opportunity to climb through two waterfalls.
Want to get in on the action? The fourth edition will take place on Oct. 27, 2019. We love that event organizers are rotating the lowest bib numbers between genders. This year female teams got the lowest ones, and next year it will be the mixed teams.
1. Misty Becerra and Kristen Smith Jeno (Have We Met?) 3:59:19
2. Jennifer Devers and Bridget Phillips (Tethered Tootin’ Ta Tas) 4:06:51
3. Rachel Dolan and Katherine Tobin (#Rage On) 4:13:08
1. Sonja Wieck and Anthony Beeson (soFun) 3:44:04
2. Amy Krakauer and Marcus Carson (MACK Attack) 3:45:00
3. Therese Näsman and Patrik Rung (Team Motvind) 3:56:41
1. Marcus Barton and Caleb Baity (Team Orca / GU Crew) 3:12:59.65
2. Alan Horton and Jack McAfee (Team Every Man Jack) 3:13:03.04
3. Eric Limkemann and Robert Flanigan (Team Wattie Ink) 3:22:54
Enjoy these photos from Aaron Palaian.