Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
As triathlon season slowly starts to ramp up, here are some of the headlines around the world of multisport.
Husky Triathlon to showcase Aussie stars
Top Australian athletes will face off this weekend at the Husky Triathlon Festival, which is doubling as the Australian National Triathlon Championships. Among the names on the start list are powerhouses including Ellie Salthouse, Amelia Watkinson, and Annabel Luxford, as well as Tim Reed and Tim van Berkel on the men’s side. All will be vying for the $35,000 AUD ($27,000 USD) prize purse. The professional race that is set to be broadcast live YouTube and Facebook on 6 a.m. AEDT/7 p.m. GMT (Saturday).
Tommy Zaferes shares his 10 favorite photos
For a fun blast into the past (well, the past few years, at least), check out Tommy Zaferes’ gallery of great moments in triathlon. The former pro triathlete, 35, is now a pro photographer and has snapped pictures at most of the recent major ITU races. Zaferes shared that his top 10 photos are a “mix of memorable moments between ‘right place right time,’ ‘historical in the sport,’ and ‘personally memorable.’’ He includes interesting insight behind each photo, including one of his wife, Katie, winning her first ever world title in 2019, just a couple of weeks after a horrific bike crash during a race nearly derailed her season.
Zwift to celebrate and showcase women throughout March
Zwift, will be celebrating Women’s History Month throughout March with a series of events, challenges, panels, and podcasts, including the Zwift PowerUp Tri podcast, hosted by Olympian triathlete Sarah True.
“We’ve come so far for equality in sport. There is more work to do, but this series is a chance to stop and celebrate the achievements of women in sport around the world,” said True, whose podcast guests will include triathlete Sika Henry, who’s aiming to become the first African American woman to go pro in the sport, and pro triathlete-turned-champion marathoner Malindi Elmore. Other planned features include group rides and runs led by female athletes and community leaders. See the full list here.
Mary Knott remembered and honored with ocean swim
The story of beloved and accomplished triathlete, ultrarunner, and veterinarian Mary Knott has made headlines around the world as details emerged of her tragic and sudden death at the age 44. Knott, who was killed on Feb. 13, was honored by several of her friends and teammates with an ocean swim at Moonlight Beach last weekend. Among those remembering the athlete was her coach and former Ironman champ Hilary Biscay, who wrote “carrying on without [Knott] is undoubtedly the biggest challenge we have ever faced but we are taking it on together, one day at a time.”
Paratriathletes showcased in new series
In 2016, Grace Norman was an 18-year-old track star who dabbled in triathlon–and won a gold medal for Team USA at the Rio Paralympic games. A below-the-knee amputee born without a left foot, Norman is now a college grad and Registered Nurse and is chasing gold in paratri and track yet again. Norman shares her story with fellow paratriathlete champ Lauren Steadman in the first episode of the new World Triathlon series Going Beyond. The series shares the journey of several paratriathletes from around the world as they prepare for the world championships in May and the Tokyo Paralympics in August. Episodes are posted on Facebook and air on TriathlonLIVE.tv every Wednesday.
- Zwift devotee and age-group triathlete Josh Hageman talks about his quest to collect every badge available on the virtual racing app on the Triathlete Hour.
- The Oxygen Addict podcast brings on Dr. Anton Krige to talk about COVID-19 and triathletes, including how to reduce the severity of the virus as well as how to manage the recovery process.
- Hosts Chris McCormack and Will McCloy chat with the Super League Triathlon commentary team on the latest MX Endurance Podcast to discuss how the sport can appeal to a broader audience with more broader (and better) TV coverage.
- Three-time Ironman champ (and 2020 Ultraman winner) Dede Grisebauer talks about her lengthy and successful career with Carrie Tollefson on C Tolle Run.
- The Inside Tri Show features Anna Haslock, the race director for the Trans Continental Race (TCR), a self-supported bike race across Europe. She discusses the event as well as how she picked up the pieces and carried on after the death of her partner, Mike Hall, a champion endurance cyclist who was hit by a car in 2017.
- Greg Bennett catches up with his longtime mate (and fellow triathlon legend) Craig “Crowie” Alexander to talk about everything from their early days in the sport and its future to Tom Brady’s longevity on The Greg Bennett Show.