Sources Say Armstrong Mulling Doping Confession
Lance Armstrong is said to be mulling a confession to the use of performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Lance Armstrong is said to be mulling a confession to the use of performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career which was, until recently, on the record books among the sport’s all-time best.
The New York Times’ Juliet Macur reported on Friday evening that the Texan was considering admitting to cheating over his career in hopes of returning to high-level competition. The UCI banned Armstrong for life after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency issued a thousand-page file outlining his use of blood doping and EPO during his then-unprecedented run of Tour de France wins. That ban extends to triathlons and marathons falling under the Olympic movement and other event promoters have excluded Armstrong from their events since October.
Armstrong elected not to fight the USADA allegations, and he was stripped of nearly every meaningful cycling result, save 1993 world and national championships and a pair of Tour de France stage wins. If he elects to come clean, it would mark a sea change for the Texan, who has rabidly denied doping over his career and has attacked those who have sullied his reputation, from newspapers to former teammates and staff.
Read more: Velonews.com
It’s unclear at this point if an Armstrong confession would allow him to return to triathlon at any point. Check back to Triathlete.com as we continue to follow this developing story.
– Lance Armstrong: “I Am Not Banned From Life”
– Rev3 Responds To Lance Armstrong Race Invitation
– Lance Armstrong Puts Two Triathlons On His Race Calendar
– Photos: Lance Armstrong’s Return To Triathlon
– Lance Armstrong Won’t Fight USADA Charges
– Behind The Lance Ban: A Talk With WTC CEO Andrew Messick
– Armstrong Officially Ineligible For Ironman Events
– Lance Armstrong’s Return To Triathlon: A Timeline
– Triathlon Community Reacts To Lance Armstrong News
– Lance Armstrong Faces Doping Charges From USADA