Dispatch: Trivia Time!
A collection of trivia questions inspired by memorable conversations with the sport's top athletes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“Dispatch” is an online column from Triathlete Editor-at-Large Holly Bennett that will feature pro updates, industry news, happenings afield and otherwise random reports related to multi-sport. Look for “Dispatch” every Thursday on Triathlete.com.
As a triathlon journalist, interviewing athletes day in and day out, I’ve learned some pretty interesting and entertaining facts about my subjects. Here’s a collection of trivia questions inspired by some of the most memorable conversations – with answers to follow tomorrow.
Which pro triathlete (choose from the photos to the left)…
1. …was surprised by a squirrel that jumped out from the dingy closet of the so-called luxury rental accommodation she had booked as a treat for her family during the 2012 Ironman World Championship in Kona?
2. …is married to a former Cirque du Soleil gymnast who now runs a successful cupcake bakery?
3. …spent 10 years of her childhood living in a 19-foot motorhome with her parents and two siblings?
4. …is a closet Twilight fan?
5. …detests bananas?
6. …used to break into her high school pool after hours to log extra laps?
7. …once fed his college teammates custom-crafted wasabi-filled Oreo cookies as a prank?
8. …occasionally eats lunch in the shower?
9. …sleeps in her young niece’s princess-themed bed when visiting her family?
10. …has two tattoos – one depicting eight sparrows (one representing each person in her family) and another depicting Koi (representing courage and strength)?
11. …was raised vegetarian and has never tasted a single speck of meat?
12. …said this: “It might be embarrassing if I eventually do win Kona. I haven’t seen any other bloke cry on stage, but when I picture myself up there I don’t think I could help it. Yeah, I am an emotional athlete…emotional and then some!”