For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
The upper Midwest and Southeast parts of the country qualified some familiar and some not-so-familiar names.
#19 – North Dakota Qualifier: Bismarck Triathlon
In the Bismarck Triathlon, which was run as a duathlon due to the 53-degree water temperature at Misty Waters Marina, qualified the power-packed duo of
Rob Gilles and Marnie Walth. Walth has been a regional force for years.
1. Rob Gilles (33, Fargo) and Marnie Walth (40, Bismarck)
2. David Burns (43, Bismarck) and Barbara Kuhlemeier (50, Minot)
3. Mike Fretland (34, Bismarck) and Kailee Fretland (28, Bismarck)
#18 – Michigan Qualifier: Motor City Olympic
Chris Lutz of Warren took the title for Michigan; women’s results from the Motor City Tri are under review and will be reported when final.
1. Chris Lutz (26, Warren) and women’s results under review
2. Brian Francis (42, Brighton)
3. Timothy Polonkey (32, Clarkston)
#17 – Mississippi Qualifier: Dragonfly Triathlon
Fairly new but serious triathlete Jacob Deitz won for Ole Miss at Dragonfly Tri, while the absence of 2008 Best of the U.S. Champion Margot Hair opened the door for Angie Dickerson, a former collegiate swimmer and cross-country runner, in her fourth year of racing.
1. Jacob Deitz (24, Leland) and Angie Dickerson (32, Southaven)
2. Eugene O¹Donnell (30, Madison) and Jinx Campbell (46, Ocean Springs)
3. Stuart Makinson (25, Flowood) and Laura Galloway (44, Tupelo)
Click here for results.
#16 – Georgia Qualifier: West Point Lake Triathlon
Reigning USAT national age group champion Jason Schott won for Georgia (at West Point Lake Tri) along with relative newcomer and former collegiate swimmer Haley Chura.
1. Jason Schott (38, Dahlonega) and Haley Chura (24, Smyrna)
2. Samuel Morgan (26, Atlanta) and Katherine Tindol (41, Suwanee)
3. DennisReardon (37, Canton) and Yvonne Bedell (33, Dunwoody)
#15 – Alabama Qualifier: Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon
In Alabama, Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon returns Jonathan Krichev, who raced at the 2007 Championship, and Lori Goldweber, who qualified to represent Alabama for the third time.
Jonathan Krichev (32, Huntsville) and Lori Goldweber (45, Birmingham)
David Meadows(40, Birmingham) and Meredith Tyler (20, Birmingham)
Dewayne Minor (37, Birmingham) and Leah Braden (29, Fultondale)
Click here for results.
Best of the U.S. Week 11, June 20 & 21
Saturday, June 20
Race #20 DakotaMan S. Dakota Qualifier
Sunday, June 21
Race #21 Ozark Valley Tri Arkansas
Race #22 Treasure State Olympic Montana Qualifier
Race #23 Wisconsin Triterium Wisconsin Qualifier
Race #24 Cheyenne Sprint Wyoming Qualifier