For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
The Island House Hotel in Nassau, Bahamas announced today that is sponsoring 13 professional triathletes for 2015.
The Island House, a 30-room boutique hotel set to open in April 2015, is the latest project of longtime endurance sports supporter Mark Holowesko. In recent years, Holowesko has sponsored the Hincapie Racing Team and Garmin-Sharp pro cycling team. In 2015, he is increasing his presence and support of triathlon through The Island House. A triathlete and four-time Ironman finisher himself, Holowesko is passionate about growing the sport and encouraging the development of both world class and up-and-coming triathletes. “I am excited to continue my sponsorship of triathletes, something I have been doing for 15 years,” Holowesko said in the press release. “This year’s athletes are an exceptional group of people from different disciplines.”
The Island House roster includes athletes from ITU to Ironman distances with several current and former world champions. Holowesko also included less decorated athletes who he believes will be strong ambassadors for the Island House and show character and promise in the sport. “I started sponsoring athletes that were in the early years of their professional development,” Holowesko said. “Hopefully I can continue this approach through the Island House.” Island House triathletes will enjoy training at the Island House throughout the year as well as financial support for travel and racing.
The Island House lineup includes:
– 2014 Ironman World Championship runner-up Ben Hoffman
– Three-time Olympian and four-time worldchampion Tim Don
– Six-time Ironman champion Luke McKenzie
– Standout swimmer now focusing on half-iron distance Barrett Brandon
– Multiple 70.3 champion and former ITU duathlon world champion Leon Griffin
– Ironman champion Trevor Wurtele
– ITU world champion Gwen Jorgensen
– 2012 Ironman and 70.3 world champion Leanda Cave
– Two-time Ironman World Championship podium finisher Rachel Joyce
– Olympic silver medalist and former ITU world champion Lisa Norden
– Multiple Ironman and 70.3 champion Heather Wurtele
– Half iron-distance specialist Lauren Brandon
– New mother and standout runner Beth Gerdes
Designed with both high-end guests and the local community in mind, and as a symbiotic extension of the surrounding environment, The Island House aims to represent the antithesis of the commercial mega-resorts that now dominate the Bahams. The property will feature six rental apartments, two restaurants, a cafe, spa, gym, squash and paddle courts, and movement studio for fitness classes. Learn more at The-island-house.com.