Hearty yet healthy: As the weather starts to change, warm and velvety soups—like this Lemongrass and Ginger Pie Pumpkin Soup—are an easy way to satisfy your taste buds while boosting your immune system.
As the weather starts to change, this warm, velvety soup will comfort and surprise you with it’s fresh, zesty undertones of lemongrass and ginger. With healthy doses of antioxidants and Vitamin A, boost your immune system while you slurp this Lemongrass + Ginger Pie Pumpkin Soup.
Lemongrass + Ginger Pie Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
Serves 4 large bowls
1-2 pie pumpkin(s), 4-5 pounds
2 shallots, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 T fresh lemon grass paste*
1 T fresh ginger puree
1 T chili-garlic sauce (1/2 T for less heat)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup coconut milk
2T pure maple syrup
Salt and pepper
Micro greens or roasted pepitas (for garnish)
*Lemongrass paste can be found in the produce section of many grocery stores next to the fresh herbs. Alternatively, use two whole lemon grass sticks and remove before blending.
Lemongrass + Ginger Pie Pumpkin Soup Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the pumpkin(s) in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Toss each half with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and lay skin side up on the baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes until softened.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes while you start working with the other ingredients.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or soup pot with two-tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté 2-3 minutes until it starts to turn golden.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, add the garlic, and sauté one-minute. Add the lemongrass, ginger, and garlic chili sauce, and stir to combine.
- Scoop the pumpkin from the skin into the pot, and stir to combine with the other ingredients. Add the vegetable broth, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup. You can always add more of these ingredients after blending if you want more creaminess or sweetness.
- Blend to bring the soup to a smooth texture. Garnish with micro greens and/or pepitas.