Our sister publication is looking for someone to lead the brand.
Pocket Outdoor Media is looking for an effective team leader, strategic thinker, and strong editor to champion the Women’s Running brand! The Editor-in-Chief of Women’s Running will have overall responsibility for ensuring effective and timely delivery of our category-leading multi-channel content (print, digital, social, video), while serving as the brand’s industry- and consumer-facing leader. This person will be the steward of the brand’s editorial vision, mission, and focus, and will determine the on-going creative direction for all aspects of Women’s Running. This person will work closely with the Publisher to develop business strategies and plans to help drive revenue. We are searching for a motivated team player with a passion for running and fitness and a desire to be an integral part of a fast-growing brand that is always looking to innovate and drive next-level content. The Editor-in-Chief reports to the Editorial Director, who is responsible for the overall editorial strategy of POM, and will work closely alongside the Sales and Marketing team to make Women’s Running profitable.
The position is both internally and externally facing and will require travel when relevant. The editor will work with our sales department to meet customers, will attend and speak at events as needed, and will be the brand’s editorial liaison. External customer partnerships will require the right candidate to have pre-existing relationships within the running community, as well as the ability to forge new relationships with prospective clients.
The editor-in-chief will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Oversee the editorial process to ensure that all aspects of content and production work effectively to define, refine and determine the ongoing creative development, direction, and growth of editorial product.
- Supervise production from story generation through publication and plan editorial calendars effectively, across all platforms and channels where Women’s Running distributes content.
- Take ownership of the quality of the brand by setting journalistic standards to maintain and grow the brand and by executing content and ongoing guidance to the Women’s Running team.
- Develop and launch multimedia platforms, e.g. podcasts and video.
- Work closely with the Women’s Running editorial team to grow digital traffic by monitoring innovations in platforms and social media and analytics.
- Develop and maintain a long-term editorial calendar that is consistent with the brand and updated and shared regularly with sales and marketing staff.
- Coordinate assignments, editing and layout/design of all special projects and in-depth reports.
- Maintain final approval and ensure consistent high quality of all creative and editorial elements of the brand, including assignments, print layouts, digital product design, photography, and social media voice.
- Ensure print and online content delivers the desired message to the designated audience.
- Plan and direct editorial activities. Creatively identify market opportunities and voids in content.
- Create a detailed vision of the strategy and positioning of the brand as well as strategies to grow the audience across all media channels.
- Chart the digital future of Women’s Running across multiple platforms by bearing a sophisticated understanding of new technologies impacting news and content businesses.
- Set the editorial course for Women’s Running over short, medium and long terms in conjunction with the Editorial Director and executive committee.
- Manage budget for the brand and projects with financial controls that adhere to approved budgets and process. Ensure an overall view is taken of digital and financial opportunities and challenges.
- Contribute to the continued growth of the brand, ensuring an integrated approach to editorial, programming, and content aspects.
- Stay abreast on the most current developments and trends in the running, health, fitness and wellness industries.
- Network with stakeholders and community members to expand our publications’ footprint in the running, fitness and wellness communities.
- Exhibit ease and professionalism when interacting with industry influencers and professional athletes.
- Collaborate closely with the sales and marketing team and other departments to identify partnership opportunities and create sponsored content.
- Take an active role in marketing the brand. Help to create and realize new revenue streams and business models.
What You’ll Need to Succeed in this Role
- Extensive and actionable relationships with key brand stakeholders within the running industry
- Deep knowledge and passion for running; its brands, athletes, and history
- Integrated media background and experience as an editor
- Innovative thinker and problem solver
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with solid presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects concurrently from start to finish
- Focused self-starter who takes initiative and proactively seeks answers and solutions
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- The ideal EIC will have at least 10 years of experience and 3 years of management experience
If you are interested in submitting an application, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.