These simple stregth movements are a little bit funky looking, but are easy to fit into your routine and will benefit you in the long run.
Fire Hydrant Leg Lifts
Wake up your glutes and hips pre-run
1. Kneel with arms extended and palms at on ground.
2. Place a 3-pound dumbbell behind your bent left knee.
3. Lift weighted leg up and to the rear, until even with back.
4. Turn weighted leg out at a 45-degree angle. Return to Step 3.
5. Perform 10 to 12 repetitions, keeping weighted knee lifted and off the ground for entirety of set. Switch legs and repeat. Don’t pee.
Intense core and shoulder workout for a more powerful swim stroke
1. Start in traditional pushup form.
2. As you lower your body to the ground, bring left knee to left elbow.
3. Push up and return left leg to starting position.
4. Repeat on right side to complete the set. Perform 10 to 12 sets. Web-slinging optional.
Flashdance Barbell Hip Thrusts
Boost your back and core muscles for a stronger aero position
1. Start with shoulders on a bench, feet spaced shoulder-width, and a barbell on hips
2. Lower your hips to an almost-seated position.
3. Pushing through heels, drive the hips to a bridge position. Squeeze glute muscles at the top.
4. With controlled movement, lower the weight to Step 2 position
5. Repeat 10 to 12 times—what a feeling!