This large batch recipe will provide you meals for a week.
Looking for a large batch recipe that will provide meals for the week? Loaded with veggies in a thick, rich broth, this chicken tortilla soup has you covered. Serve with rice, sweet potatoes, or tortillas to load up for or recover from a big training session.
2 TBSP canola oil
½ yellow onion, diced
2 small carrots, peeled and diced
2 pieces celery, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced (seeds and stem removed)
1 yellow bell pepper, diced (seeds and stem removed)
2 TBSP chili powder
1 ½ TBSP cumin
1 TBSP agave or honey
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 box (32 oz) reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) corn, with liquid
1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
1 pound chicken breast, diced
Optional garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, light sour cream, tortillas
1. Heat the canola oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add the red and yellow bell peppers to the pot and sauté another 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, agave or honey, salt, pepper and flour until the veggies are coated. Let cook for one minute until the spices are fragrant.
4. Stir in the vegetable broth, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan so they dissolve into the broth.
5. Add the corn, with the liquid in the can, the diced tomatoes, black beans, chilies and diced chicken breast. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes.
6. Turn off heat, uncover and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
7. Serve with fresh cilantro and a dollop of light sour cream if desired.
8. If serving with tortillas, toast the tortillas in a skillet before serving over the top of the soup.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.