Flavorful, filling and packed with protein, these tacos are what you need to kick start your day. Loaded with iron rich veggies and spinach, with a touch of spicy seasoning and smoky cheese this recipe hits the spot. The best part is that it’s designed for leftovers so you can have a quick breakfast ready to grab, heat and go without sacrificing nutrition.
2 small (or 1 large) zucchini, finely diced
2 small (or 1 large) yellow squash, finely diced
8 oz mushrooms, slices
6 egg whites
4 ounces smoked Gouda (or Mozzarella) cheese, shredded
2 TBSP olive oil
1 ½ TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP cumin
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
3 cups fresh spinach
Salsa for garnish
6 large flour tortillas
1. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the zucchini and yellow squash and sauté for about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and hot sauce, and sauté another 2 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
2. Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan, along with the mushrooms and sauté 8 minutes, until golden. Remove into the bowl with the other veggies.
3. Turn heat down to medium. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites and add to the pan.
4. Add the cheese to the eggs and scramble until the eggs are soft and the cheese is melted. Add the eggs to the bowl with the veggies.
5. Heat the tortillas over and open flame, or in a pan. Place ½ cup of spinach on each tortilla. Top with the veggie and egg mixture. Garnish with the salsa if desired.
Note: Store extra egg-veggie mixture in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.