This one bowl is loaded with the immune-boosting and recovery-promoting support that you need as an endurance athlete. Warm and creamy hot cereal, with a touch of ginger to decrease inflammation is complemented by crisp fresh fruit, crunchy walnuts and tangy golden raisins. Pomegranate seeds supply powerful antioxidants, while kiwi boasts a high concentration of vitamin C to ward off cold and sickness. Walnuts are also known to contain antioxidants and omega 3’s, which also ward off inflammation. Plus, this bowl is as beautiful as it is good for you.
Makes 2 Servings
½ cup whole grain, whole wheat farina cereal (cream of wheat)
½ cup white corn grits (stone ground polenta also works)
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1 cup water
2 TBSP pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp sea salt
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
½ pear, thinly sliced
½ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup chopped walnuts
2 TBSP golden raisins
1. In a large pot, bring the almond milk, water, maple syrup (or coconut sugar), vanilla, ginger and salt to a simmer.
2. Add the wheat farina and grits and bring to a low rolling boil. Cover and turn heat to simmer for 3-5 minutes until the cereal starts to thicken.
3. Remove from heat and pour into two bowls.
4. Top each bowl with 1 of the sliced kiwis, half of the pear slices, ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, 2 TBSP walnuts and 1 TBSP golden raisins.
5. Customize by adding or subtracting fruit, adding a protein boost of amaranth or quinoa to the cereal, or topping with hemp seeds, flax seeds, candied ginger, coconut or any of your favorite toppings.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.