This time of year, it’s nice to have some light and fresh recipe options to balance out the heavy holiday fare. Shaved Brussels slaw will be a hit on your Thanksgiving table. Year-round, they can be a great side dish for a weeknight meal or are perfect served over a bowl of quinoa for a quick lunch.
8 ounces shaved Brussels sprouts*
2 small persimmons
1 cup blueberries
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
¼ cup roasted & salted pumpkin seeds
2 TBSP freshly chopped tarragon
2 TBSP olive oil
2 small lemons
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
*Shaved Brussels sprouts can be found at most grocery stores already washed, cut and bagged. To make your own, slice whole Brussels sprouts super thin, and they will naturally fall apart.
1. In a large bowl, zest and juice the two lemons. Whisk in the olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Toss the sprouts in the bowl, until well coated with the dressing. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Cut the persimmon around the core, and discard the core. Then cut the persimmon into matchsticks.
4. Add the persimmons, blueberries, raisins, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and tarragon to the bowl with the sprouts, and toss until well combined.
5. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.