This salad combines your favorite fall veggies in a simple preparation. A zesty lemon vinaigrette and tart pomegranate seeds create a bright contrast to the earthy roasted veggies.
Makes 8 side size, or 4 meal size servings
4 cups butternut squash, cut in ½-inch cubes
4 cups (about 1 pound) Brussels sprouts, sliced diagonally
½ head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 3 heaping cups)
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP honey
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
Extra olive oil, salt, and pepper for roasting veggies
Fresh chopped Italian parsley, optional for garnish
*The preparation process is a bit lengthy but well worth it for the large batch this recipe makes!
1. Prepare the veggies in batches. Heat oven to Hi Broil, with an oven rack on the top shelf. Prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and non-stick cooking spray.
2. Spread the butternut squash onto the baking sheet and toss with a conservative amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes. Toss the squash and place back under the broiler for 3 minutes. Remove squash into a large serving dish and spread out to cool.
3. Spread the Brussels sprouts onto the baking sheet and toss with a conservative amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes. Toss the sprouts and place back under the broiler for 3 minutes. Repeat this step 1-2 more times until the sprouts are crisp and golden. Remove the sprouts into the dish with the squash.
4. Move the oven rack to the middle shelf. Spread the cauliflower on the baking sheet and toss with a conservative amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes. Toss and place back under the broiler for 5 minutes. Repeat this step one more time, or until the cauliflower is golden and starts to soften. Add the cauliflower to the serving dish.
5. Zest both lemons into a small bowl. Add the juice of both lemons along with the olive, honey and ½ tsp (each) salt and pepper to the bowl. Whisk until well combined.
6. Gently toss the dressing into the veggies while they are still warm. Then toss the pomegranate and pumpkin seeds into the veggies.
7. Serve warm or chilled. Optional to sprinkle chopped parsley over the top.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.