This salad has summer written all over it with crisp sweet corn, peppery arugula and the perfect touch of basil to make a statement. Serve it up as a colorful side dish, or top with shrimp, scallops or chicken for a light lunch or dinner.
8 jumbo shrimp or prawns, peeled and deveined
5 ounces arugula (about 8 cups)
4 ears corn, husks removed
1 ½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
¼ red onion, finely sliced
½ cup fresh basil, julienned
3 ½ tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white balsamic or champagne vinegar
¾ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1. Char corn over an open flame on a gas stove, about 30-60 seconds per side (see second picture above), until charred. Alternatively, grill corn over hi heat, or broil on hi, for 30-60 seconds per side, until charred.
2. Hold corn upright, with the flat end down, in a large bowl. Using a sharp knife, slice from the tip of the corn, down to the flat end, cutting kernels into the bowl.
3. Add the tomatoes, red onion, 3 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper to the bowl and toss until well combined. Let sit for 20 minutes, up to overnight.
4. Once the corn salad has marinated, add the arugula and basil to the bowl and toss until well combined.
5. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss the shrimp with the remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Lay shrimp on a baking sheet and roast for 60-90 seconds per side, until pink on the outside. Alternatively, shrimp may be grilled for 60-90 seconds per side.
6. Serve shrimp over the corn salad. To serve as pictured, take two shrimp and have the “hug” to stand upright on the salad.