This isn’t any regular old salad. This salad means business and is filled with tons of fresh veggies, textures and colors. Dried cranberries add a tart and sweet touch, balanced by toasted pecans. And the quick grilled lemon chicken will surely become a favorite in your recipe repertoire.
Makes 4 servings
20-24 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
10 ounces spring mix
2/3 cup chopped hearts of palm
2/3 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
½ cup chopped English or Persian cucumber
1/3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
¼ cup chopped dried cranberry
3 tablespoon chopped toasted pecans
2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon balsamic or white balsamic vinegar
sprinkle sea salt
sprinkle freshly cracked pepper
1. Place the chicken breast on a large cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet to pound out the chicken breast to about ¼ inch thick.
2. In a 9×11 baking dish, whisk together the lemon juice, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the baking dish and massage the breasts with the mixture. Cover and let marinate 20 minutes to 24 hours.
3. Heat grill to medium high. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side, until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
4. Let rest covered for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil salt and pepper.
2. Add all of the ingredients, except the spring mix, to the bowl and toss until well combined. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Place the spring mix on a large platter, or divide onto plates. Pour the marinated vegetable mixture evenly over the spring mix. Serve the grilled lemon chicken on the side.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.