This oatmeal will become your new favorite the minute you taste it. Real vanilla bean and sea salt are the secret ingredients that set the flavors apart.
1 cup whole oats
1 cup steel-cut oats
4 cups vanilla, sweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons agave
1 real vanilla bean
¼ heaping cup dried blueberries
½ teaspoon sea salt (try pink Himalayan salt)
1. Pour the almond milk into a medium sized pot.
2. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise. Use a small knife to remove the vanilla beans from the pod. Add these to the pot with the almond milk and whisk to combine.
3. Place the pot over medium heat. Add the oats, agave and salt and stir to combine. Cover and let come to a slow boil. Very important not to boil heavily or the mixture will burn to the bottom of the pan.
4. Reduce the heat to simmer, and let cook covered for 15-20 minutes until the oatmeal is cooked through.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the dried blueberries.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.